Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In the Heart of the Sea

I finished this book about two weeks ago but have been struggling with what to write about. It isn't that I disliked the book, I actually found it fascinating. I just haven't been sure how to portray the horror that these men experienced.

The story begins by explaining the draw felt by the men of Nantucket to the sea. By the time the crew sets sail, the reader is ready to jump on board to take on the adventure of a lifetime. This excitement quickly fades a few days later when they run into a storm. It is this unexpected, and poorly handled, storm that sets the tone for the rest of the crazy, chaotic voyage.

It is hard for the modern mind to comprehend the unknown quality of the world at the time of the nineteenth century. The sheer size of the oceans, the lack of technology, the unpredictability of the prey, all led to the sinking of the Essex and the following months of uncertainty, starvation, isolation and cannibalism.

2 comments:

  1. Talk about great minds think alike!! At least I like to think we are great minds;) I just got this on paperbackswap to read before I left. It's my next book in my stack. I miss you and tell all the ladies in S.S. we miss them!
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great book...as long as you don't get squeamish (which I do). His book on the Mayflower is also excellent! I will deliver your message. You guys are missed as well!

    ReplyDelete