Sunday, May 9, 2010

Take Three by Karen Kingsbury

I am so glad I was able to find Take Three so soon after finishing Take Two. It would have been a test of patience to wait very long to see what was in store next for the characters.

In the author's note at the end of the book, Kingsbury says that the characters moved themselves in ways she hadn't envisioned. I can't imagine things happening any other way.

Thankfully, a lot of lessons seemed to be learned from the trials experienced in Take Two. All except for Andi, that it. She continues to struggle throughout the course of the novel, trying to come to terms with past mistakes and the opportunity for forgiveness. (Can't say anymore without spoiling the ending.)

Chase and Kelly play a much smaller role in this book because he realizes the sacrifices his family has been making for his career and how much it is costing their family. "Her smile fell away and she looked truly sad. Scared even. 'Sometimes...I forget what Daddy looks like.'" Hearing the truth from his daughters opens Chase's eyes to see what he had been blinded to.

I guess, if I had to chose a theme for this book, I would choose redemption (even though Kingsbury has a whole series with that title). Not a "salvation" redemption, but a returning to what is right and true, a looking beyond the faults and failures of the past to what is ahead and how to accomplish it according to God's plan and timing. Allowing Him to take our past mistakes and do something great with them. ...I can't wait to see what is store in Take Four!

No comments:

Post a Comment